Removal of "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter" device in Server 2008 R2 Std
Hello, Microsoft has recently added the "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter" to the new line of server operating systems. When disabled, a new one is created within 2 hours. When it is uninstalled, it will reappear at the next reboot. This action is unacceptable on a live production server. I need to know steps to take to PERMANENTLY remove this device. It is wreaking havoc in a live environment. Allow me to explain. Current Windows 2008 R2 STD machine is being used as a WSUS server. In the WSUS admin console, it is imperative that I see current IP addresses, so I can sort them into memberships. When the 6to4 adapter is active, WSUS reports IPv6 addresses ( because Windows Vista and Windows 7 also have this unwanted adapter preinstalled on the OS ). When disabled/uninstalled, it reports the correct IPv4 address that I can use. Unfortunately, every time I remove it, it comes back. Please explain how to permanently remove this device. Thank you.
March 16th, 2012 2:44pm

Are you disabling properly? Go through this link to disable http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2012 5:41pm

Thank you very much, that link was very helpful. I find it somewhat insane that Microsoft would make it THAT convoluted to do such a simple task, but the bottom line is that I found it, and thank you again.
June 12th, 2012 3:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics